How to Select the Right Dermatologist for You
When you are seeking quality dermatologic care, it’s not always an easy task. You want to make sure you select a skin doctor who treats various conditions which affect the skin as well as hair and nails. You should also search for one who is knowledgeable on all the latest skin care technology and products for cosmetic concerns.
There are 2 types of dermatologists, general and cosmetic. Sometimes, as in the case with Goodman Dermatology, the dermatology practice will offer both types of treatment.
Here are 9 factors to consider when searching for the best dermatologist in Atlanta or surrounding areas such as Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Milton, Roswell, Marietta, and Sandy Springs.
1. What type of dermatologist do you need?
Do you just need general medical dermatology that treats acne, skin cancer, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, etc. Or would you like someone who can help with aging skin? Goodman Dermatology offers both. +Dermatology & +Cosmetic Dermatology
2. Comfort and expertise, seek a happy balance.
3. Ask your primary doctor for referrals.
Friends can offer their personal experiences and can be a good source too.
4. Are they board certified in dermatology?
In most cases you can find the dermatologist’s credentials on their website. +Dr. Marcus Goodman
5. What is their area of expertise?
Dr. Marcus Goodman is currently a Diplomate of the American Osteopathic Board of Dermatology. Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine specialize in the medical and surgical treatment or disorders of the skin.
6. Do they have convenient office hours?
Goodman Dermatology in Roswell, GA is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 5 pm. You can make an appointment by calling the office 770-754-0787 or by logging on to their website https://goodmandermatology.com/ and clicking the tab on the Home page at the top right hand corner. There is also a form on their “Contact Us” page for any questions or concerns you might have.
7. Ask your dermatologist questions
Here are 10 questions to ask that you might not think about asking:
- 1. How do I prevent skin cancer?
- 2. What is the best sun screen to use?
- 3. What can I do to look better?
- 4. Do you think Botox would work for me?
- 5. What is causing my acne?
- 6. How often should i be checked for skin cancer?
- 7. Will one of my moles turn into skin cancer?
- 8. Does having a mole biopsied decrease my chance of getting skin cancer?
- 9. What skin products really work for my type skin?
- 10.What foods should I eat or avoid to help the condition of my skin?
8. Do they accept your insurance for medical treatment?
For a list of insurance providers click here, or you may call and ask if they carry your particular insurance.
9. Compare reviews on review sites
Over the past 10 years, review sites have become a popular way for people to search for a good doctor that has a good patient following. Vitals.com is a trusted source for thousands of doctors across the country. Patients write about their experience and rate their doctor on several components of care, including bedside manner, doctor-patient face time, and degree of follow-up. Patients also provide their doctor with an overall rating. Vitals analyzes these ratings annually, along with other quality measures, to identify yearly winners of doctor awards. While most doctors receive positive feedback from their patients, only a few meet the criteria for a vitals Award or Recognition. Dr. Marcus Goodman has been awarded the Patients’ Choice Award for 2014. This is his 4th year in a row to win this prestigious award.